FAQ & Help Section
We specialise in sales of auto upholstery materials to professional trimmers and individual car enthusiasts.
Martrim Ltd. has been trading since 1976 and is dedicated to meeting the needs of professional car trimmers around the UK (and further afield).
We've built a solid reputation within the trimming industry for a wide range of quality materials, and a commitment to superlative customer service.
- Adding value to your car - With great interior trim work, it's quite possible to add value to your car for sale or investment purposes.
- Auto hides - Why the Martrim name and brand is synonymous with auto hides.
- Auto Leather London - If you're looking for auto leather in London, give Martrim a call to discuss sales and supplies.
- Automotive leather - The automotive industry and its demands for particularly high standards.
- Automotive vinyl - Need to keep costs to a minimum in the less visible parts of your vehicle?
- Auto leather hides - What makes an auto hide special?
- Automotive trim materials - What exactly can Martrim supply me with?
- Bentley Upholstery - We are your one-stop shop for quality auto upholstery materials, leathers, and fabrics, including those found in high-end luxury motors, such as Bentleys.
- Brazilian crust - Find out what it is that makes our standard grain auto hides.
- Bus trimming supplies - Need a partner to trim a large vehicle?
- Car Leather - Discover why we are a leader in our chosen field of car trimming and auto upholstery supplies.
- Campervan side lining carpet - Information on the products we supply for campervan owners.
- Car interior fabrics - Buy yours from an experienced name in the trimming industry.
- Car interior materials - What kinds of car interior materials do we actually stock?
- Cart trimming supplies - Part of the equestrian community? We can trim your cart.
- Coach trimming supplies - For owners of pre-war luxury vehicle owners and drivers.
- Car Upholstery Repair - We can repair your car upholstery if it's slightly damaged but not in need of a full retrim.
- Classic British Sports Car Materials & Upholstery - If you're looking for materials or upholstery for your classic British sports car, we are definitely a company for you to deal with.
- Custom Car Upholstery - Learn about our connection to the world of custom car upholstery.
- High volume hide supplier - Just what kinds of orders can we handle?
- How to buy leather - We sell lots of different leathers in lots of different styles to lots of different people. We know a bit about selling leather, so give us a shout if you are looking for some advice about how to buy leather.
- Leather banding - Without the right bandings and bindings, it's hard to trim anything.
- Leather Car Seats - Find out how we help to supply our customers with leather car seats and other trimming materials.
- Leather hide - Our core product, and the typical uses we find our customers need it for.
- Leather hide provider - To whom exactly do we provide leather hides?
- Leather hide supplier - Why we are supplying leather hides, and to where.
- Leather hides UK - How we serve the UK hide industry.
- Leather trim - Why it's important to make an informed decision.
- Marine Trimmers - Be king of the beach with a full interior retrim for your speedboat.
- Perforated leather - What kinds of materials can we perforate, and what can it be used for?
- Car Trimming - In addition to a material supplier, we are also able to trim your vehicle.
- Trim supplies - Information about the industry for supplying materials to trimmers.
- UK hide provider - Information on distribution within our home market.
- UK hide supplier - How we are supplying the UK with its demands for quality hides.
- VW trimming supplies - For VW owners in particular, our range of services.
Can I request samples?
In most cases, we are happy to send complimentary samples as part of our normal sales process.
- We endeavour to process and dispatch samples via Royal Mail 1st class as quickly as possible, but during busy periods when our resources are stretched, please allow up to 3 days for samples to arrive.
- In spite of every best effort and intention, samples can occasionally become lost in the post.
- Due to the resources involved, we cannot distribute our complete catalogue (consisting of 100s of products) to all. Therefore, the more specific you can be when requesting material samples, the better.
- We keep copy samples for a limited period of approximately 28 days. For the sake of best match and availability, orders should be placed within this window.
- Samples should arrive with a means of reference or identification.
I have a sample. Can you match it?
Yes, we welcome samples of materials for us to match.
We contact the senders upon receipt of material samples.
Please remember to include contact information.
A full sample pack costs somewhere in the region of £100 and as such are reserved for professional trimmers, our regular and repeat customers.
Digital copies of our sample literature can be found available for download at the bottom of each page. Please feel free to distribute these as you see fit.
Please note that although particular care has been taken to ensure accurate representation of our colour range, we cannot guarantee exact matches between digital content and physical products, due to differences in photographic techniques, screen display and printing technologies.
Thanks to John Vamvakakis from Greece for these photos of his restored Lancia Appia Zagato 1960:
Here are some forum comments about us - each can be followed up using the link:
- 27/3/2014 - Personal testimonial from John Douglas - "Just
received my mini bike seat and have to say I am absolutely delighted.
Many years ago ie about ten when you were just becoming involved in
yer pa's buisness he sorted out my Griffith 5L and hosted my visit.
We had a few beers as he very kindly offered to bring me out that
evening to see a Radio One DJ .. Think it was Steve Moyles yer dad
even lent me his jeep for the day as he was playing golf. Anyway
just to cut to the chase I knew Martrim wouldn't let me down,
silly as it seems the wee mini bike seat you recently did was so
important to the project and I was very anxious that it came back
as original as possible ... As it is a major factor in this particular
restoration .. This wee mini bike I am working on is a very sentimental
project to me and is costing a clean fortune so needs to be 100%
right and as close to original as poss .. I don't usually write big
stories etc but felt it necessary to complement your team or
whoever did the work as it is absolutely perfect and more
importantly has helped me retain the motivation to complete the
project... Please convey my regards"
- 29/6/2013 - Forum post in
cal-look.no - Re: Trimming Zenith '67 "they did an
- 16/6/2013 - Forum post in track-days.co.uk - "If you
want good quality carpet I can recommend Martrim. Their Wilton Capet is
excellent quality & very good value for what you
- 11/6/2013 - Forum
post in thelatebay.com - "These guys are good for material
- 13/3/2013 - Forum post on
earlybay.com - "scrim .....spot on thanks"
- 5/6/2013 - Forum post on
vwt4forum.co.uk"good service and they knew their
- 22/10/2012 - Forum post in pistonheads.com - "I can
vouch for the quality of the Martrim Wilton stock, it's very
high end and far superior to what TVR fitted, even if you ticked
the expensive wool carpet option box. I've had absolutely no
fading, after three punishing 40 degree South of France summers
my Martrim carpets look as good at the day Gary Creasey fitted
- 14/4/2013 - Forum post on
ssvc.org.uk - "pretty good and localish :-)"
- 12/4/2008 - Forum post on nsra.org.uk - "you need to go to a
trimmers suppliers like Martrim."
- 6/4/2013 - Forum post in lanceregister.com - "excellent
results every time, really good to deal with"
- 18/5/2013 - Forum post in brick-yard.co.uk - "they did
a great job. A mate of mine recommended them to me after they did his
- 10/5/2013 - Forum post in
triumphdolomite.co.uk - "they will know what you
- 19/2/2013 - - "a very good supplier of all items regarding
- 22/2/2011 - Forum post in
nsra.org.uk - "A lot of the trimmers use
- 25/4/2013 - Forum post in 205gtidrivers.com - "i used a
contact adhesive from martrim, the one in the tin, brush it on, and
that bitch will stay on."
- 27/1/2013 - Forum post in
earlybay.com - "try Martrim......"
- 5/11/2008 - Forum post on nsra.org.uk - "Great guys and
lots of different flake options. I got some the exact match to the
wagon for the interior."
- 22/2/2013 - Forum post on
volkszone.com - "I would suggest Martrim"
- 2/3/2013 - Forum post at
pistonheads.com - "Not overly expensive."
- 23/3/2012 - Forum post on
scimitarweb.co.uk - "Carpet off the roll"
- 21/5/2011 - Forum post on lexusownersclub.co.uk - "They
replaced the roof on my TVR, and did an excellent job of
- 16/1/2013 - Forum post on earlybay.com - "worth giving
them a call as they trim all types of vehicle"
- 12/2/2013 - Forum post
on minicooper.org - "this company have been recommended to
- 31/1/2013 - Forum post on wscc.co.uk - "much cheaper
and more satisfying, look at the website and give them a
- 5/1/2013 - Forum post in minicooper.org - "Martrim
01270767771... to see what the real bees knees looks like !!!!... you
will probably end up driving in bare feet !! its dream
Payment for goods on accounts is expected within 30 days from date of invoice.
All goods remain the property of Martrim Ltd. until paid in full.
Account facilities must be paid for.
All prices are subject to change.
Parcels are shipped via TNT express next day service at the following rates:
- All goods are subject to 20% VAT.
- We accept all major credit and debit cards.
- All parcels are shipped by TNT next working day delivery (UK).
- First parcel (up to 30kg) = £10 + VAT = £12.
- Subsequent parcels = £7 + VAT.
- East Sussex
- Greater London
- Greater Manchester
- Isle of Wight*
- North Yorkshire
- South Yorkshire
- Tyne & Wear
- West Midlands
- West Sussex
- West Yorkshire
- Dumfries and Galloway
- Highlands and Islands*
- Gwynedd County
- Mid Glamorgan
- South Glamorgan
- West Glamorgan
- County Antrim*
- County Armagh*
- County Down*
- County Fermanagh*
- County Londonderry*
- County Tyrone*
- Isle of Mann*
- Isle of Skye
- Isle of Wight
- Scilly Isles*
*subject to non-mainland GB carriage charges. Call for details.
Next day deliveries
Subject to availability, we dispatch 99% of orders same day for delivery next day.
During busy periods, however, we cannot guarantee same day dispatch for material orders placed after 14:00 GMT.
Therefore, for same day processing and dispatch, it is of course best to place orders early to avoid disappointment.
Next day AM deliveries
We can offer a next day delivery before 10am subject to an additional charge.
Custom delivery dates
If you would like your goods to arrive on a specific date, this may be possible at no extra cost. Please call for details.
What if I am not home?
Unfortunately, couriers are subject to scrutiny that prevents them from leaving consignments behind the wheelie bin, for example. Couriers require a signature.
However, deliveries where the recipient is not present may be possible in certain circumstances with the following:
- Please leave a signed letter available for the driver to take away as evidence of attempted delivery.
- This must be on the outside of a door/window/gate for the driver to take away with them back to the depot.
We can offer a Saturday delivery (before 12:00 midday) subject to an additional cost. Please call for details
For tracking information, please call for a tracking number. Please note:
- Our Monday to Friday daily collection time is approximately 17:30.
- Parcels are dispatched via TNT on an economy express service, and guaranteed before 18:00 GMT the following working day.
- Once a parcel has been dispatched from our premises, it is literally out of our hands.
- 95% of the time orders are tracked, the parcel is simply out on a wagon en route to its destination.
- Every order tracking enquiry requires a minimum of 2 telephone calls.
Although our primary market is the UK, we value overseas business and regularly fulfil international orders.
For international orders, rates are calculated based on material weights and dimensions. Please contact us for an individual quote.
International (outside mainland GB) orders placed via Paypal will be subject to additional charges, requested after purchase.
We can deliver anywhere in the world. Please call +44 (0) 127 076 7771 to
provide the necessary details, and we'll calculate an individual quote based on
the weight and dimensions of your package.
Process for fulfilment of international orders:
- Customer emails their material requirements including quantities.
- We generate a shipping quote based on the parcel weight and dimensions.
- Customer invoiced.
- Order dispatched after sale is completed.
United States (USA)
- Alabama (AL)
- Alaska (AK)
- Arizona (AZ)
- Arkansas (AK)
- California (CA)
- Colorado (CO)
- Conneticut (CT)
- Delaware (DE)
- D.C. (DC)
- Florida (FL)
- Georgia (GA)
- Hawaii (HI)
- Idaho (ID)
- Illinois (IL)
- Indiana (IN)
- Iowa (IA)
- Kansas (KS)
- Kentucky (KY)
- Louisiana (LA)
- Maine (ME)
- Maryland (MD)
- Massachusetts (MA)
- Michigan (MI)
- Minnesota (MN)
- Mississippi (MS)
- Missouri (MO)
- Montana (MT)
- Nebraska (NE)
- Nevada (NV)
- New Hampshire (NH)
- New Jersey (NJ)
- New Mexico (NM)
- New York (NY)
- North Carolina (NC)
- North Dakota (ND)
- Ohio (OH)
- Oklahoma (OK)
- Oregon (OR)
- Pennsylvania (PA)
- Rhode Island (RI)
- South Carolina (SC)
- South Dakota (SD)
- Tennessee (TN)
- Texas (TX)
- Utah (UT)
- Vermont (VT)
- Virginia (VA)
- Washington (WA)
- West Virginia (WV)
- Wisconsin (WI)
- Wyoming (WY)
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- Vatican City
- Ontario (ON)
- Quebec (QC)
- Nova Scotia (NS)
- New Brunswick (NB)
- Manitoba (MB)
- British Columbia (BC)
- Prince Edward Island (PE)
- Saskatchewan (SK)
- Alberta (AB)
- Newfoundland & Labrador (NL)
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- New South Wales
- Australian Capital Territory (ATC)
We won't share your data with any third party. Ever.
We understand and accept the need for a responsible returns policy, which we honour when at genuine fault. However, we cannot be held accountable for mistakes that are not ours.
Goods are only eligible for return under the following strict circumstances:
- Materials MUST be in original and untouched condition only!
- If we send the wrong materials
Goods are NOT covered under our returns policy if:
- Materials are cut, damaged, used or marked in any way!
- If the customer changes their mind, or themselves order the wrong materials
We like to get issues resolved quickly and efficiently, and if we are genuinely at fault, we can arrange collection and replacement of materials.
For situations in which the customer is at fault ie: ordered the wrong material or colour, we ask the cost of replacement to be paid by the customer.
Standard Grain Auto Hides
What makes it a 'standard' hide?
Standard leather takes its name from the popular 'pebble grain' pattern that can be seen upon closer inspection. This textured appearance gives the hide a contemporary look and feel to them.
Are they dyed all the way through?
Yes. All hides are dyed all the way through the skin and not simply painted on the surface.
Are they auto spec?
Yes. All of these hides are manufactured to suit the regulations of the automotive industry.
Can I get a sample?
Yes. Please use this contact form, and specify the colour(s) which interest you the most. Unfortunately, requests for 'all' colours cannot be fulfilled due to the time required, more so than the material cost.
Antique Auto Hides
Why is this leather called 'antique'
Our antique leather range is tanned and then treated with a black overprint.
What is millboard?
Millboard is a board made from wood fibres, designed to provide a rigid surface that can be molded around the contours likely to be found inside a vehicle interior.